Saturday, November 9, 2013

2 Rotations Down!

Wow! It's been way too long to have any viable excuse. As you can imagine, a lot has happened since our/my last post. I've finished my foodservice rotation (thank all that is good and green in this life) and yesterday I just finished my first community rotation at WIC (Women Infants and Children). Foodservice was a beast! There are so many big projects. Add that to my 120 mile commute and you can imagine how little I got done once I got home. However, I survived and moved on to WIC.

This last week I've been surviving on little sleep and I've realized that I've now reached the age where I can no longer function on 3-4 hours 5 days in a row. Somehow I did it but I was exhausted the whole time. Every morning the first thing on my mind was how anxious I was to climb back in bed that night. My project binder for Foodservice was due on Monday and I pulled a near all-nighter getting it finished. It was tedious, time consuming work and I won't lie... I left it until the last minute. I was just so ready to be done with foodservice and not think about it anymore that I put off putting the stupid portfolio together. Hundreds of pages, sheet protectors, dividers and spreadsheets later... I handed it in. Phew! (Due to the inherent lack of sleep I did not have the where-with-all to document this monster of a portfolio with photographic proof)

Meanwhile, I was still in WIC rotation, attempting to hone in my counseling skills. I realized that while I enjoy one on one counseling and nutrition education, I am not confident enough to dive in. Definitely something I have to figure out and work on in the next rotation. I did remember why I want to work in community, especially if I can manage to do so in relation to maternal and pediatric nutrition. I got to sit in on some awesome appointments with a lactation consultant. I learned a ton about breastfeeding and I was/fascinated. I'm sure that my roomie got tired of hearing about breastfeeding after about week 1. Sorry guys! It's just so cool!! :) I love the idea of helping moms give their babies the very best of the best.

I can't believe that I'm already 4ish months into this internship year! 2 rotations down and ready for a 3rd. On Tuesday I will start my first clinical rotation back in French camp. Yep! Back to the 120 mile commute. Clinical doesnt have the projects that foodservice did so hopefully I'll have a little bit more time on my hands. It's daunting facing clinical! I'm not scared but I'm a little apprehensive. Out of the 8 of us interns I'll be the first to start a clinical rotations. I'm diving in headfirst, ahead of the pack. Not that I have much choice! :)

Sacramento is starting to feel more like home as I get more comfortable with the area. I absolutely love my co-interns. We have such a great time when we actually get to spend time together and when we aren't together, we have our on-going group text to commiserate on topics such as: the spastic and unpredictable scheduling that we endure, projects, preceptors etc etc. :)
I miss the other peas. I get to talk to Ashley once in a while and it's always a day brightener to catch up. And Stephanie... are you out there? I miss you!

Anyway, Tuesday it's a new rotation. Thankfully it's at a hospital where I already know the clinical staff so at least I'll be saved the difficulty and stress of getting to know a whole new group of people. I would promise to blog more often but well... you can see how that's going for all of us. I will promise to try. I feel like there will be more interesting stuff to write about with a clinical rotation...

Have a great three day weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment